Master Mateo and his workshop. Ca. 1200. Granite
Among the architectural elements recovered, at different times, from the outer façade of the Portico of Glory, it can be found a series of fragments that could correspond to the archivolts that formed its great central arch. Several of these pieces are exhibited in the Cathedral Museum in the assembly of a hypothetical partial reconstruction of the aforementioned arch, which originally measured eight metres and opened the Portico of Glory to the outside.
The great extent of the aforementioned arch caused it to be removed in the year 1520 in order to be replaced by two doors that would allow to close a temple that had remained permanently open until then. With this, the Portico of Glory was boxed behind those doors and mutilated, both in its spatial sense and in its discourse, when several architectural elements and the sculptural ensemble of its façade were removed.
Promote: Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Collaborate: S. A. de Xestión do Plan Xacobeo – Xunta de Galicia
Project Manager: Ramón Yzquierdo Peiró
Scanning and image processing: Margen / Elipseeg.com
Graphic Design: La Cosa Gráfica
Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Casa do Deán, Rúa do Vilar, 1
15705 Santiago de Compostela · (España)
Ph.: +34 981 569 327
The partial or total reproduction of the contents of this website is forbidden without the authorisation of the Fundación Catedral de Santiago.
All rights reserved.